What we do
The Children and Women’s Health Program provides primary, secondary, and tertiary care to children and women through pediatric and women’s health specialty clinics, health promotion and education, and emergency and critical care. The dedicated staff and physicians provide high quality, client and family-centred care to patients and families.
Our program has approximately 800 health-care professionals and dozens of volunteers who provide care and services to tens of thousands of children and women per year.
- The Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre is the only pediatric tertiary and critical care facility in the province.
- Pediatric emergency care is offered at community facilities across the province.
- Obstetric care is offered at the Health Science Centre as well as three other regional sites under Eastern Health. These include the Burin Peninsula Health Care Centre, the Carbonear General Hospital and the Dr. G. B. Cross Memorial Hospital in Clarenville. To support critical care, a team of specialty trained neonatal nurses and respiratory therapists travel by air and ground ambulance within the province to transport critically ill newborns.
Gynecology and obstetrics services
- Health clinics are offered on second (2nd) floor of the Health Sciences Centre.
- Perioperative services are provided for women requiring surgery.
- To ensure children and women receive care close to their home community, health-care professionals offer primary and secondary services through travelling clinics and virtual care.
Child and family-centred care
We value the involvement of our clients and families in making critical decisions for their health. We strive to work with clients and their families in developing, monitoring and evaluating services to meet their needs.
Learn more about client and family-centred care.
Learn more about our youth advisory council.
Learn more about our child health advisory council.
We are also working to establish a client advisory council for fertility services.
Teaching future health-care professionals
As a teaching hospital, the Children and Women’s Health Program is affiliated with Memorial University and is the primary clinical resource for pediatric and obstetric teaching for medicine, nursing and allied health services.
Medical students and residents, as well as nursing and allied health students, are a part of your health-care team.
Who we see
We provide care to children up to their 18th birthday and to individuals requiring gynecological or obstetrical services throughout the entire province.
Where we are
Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre
300 Prince Philip Dr.
St. John’s, NL
How to reach us
A listing of phone numbers is also available for the Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre.