At Eastern Health we strive to constantly improve the care our clients receive. We are committed to providing client and family centred-care (CFCC), and are guided by the values of respect and dignity; information sharing; participation and collaboration.
The Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre is the pediatric tertiary care centre for the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. As such, on March 2021, the program established a Youth Advisory Council (YAC) to ensure the voices of children, youth and families are represented in service delivery, and as valuable members of the health-care team.
What we do
The purpose of this group is to engage youth, familiar with the health-care services delivered at the Janeway Children’s Rehabilitation Centre, to help improve the quality of care. This group meets monthly to share ideas, feedback and suggestions, as we partner in service improvement planning.
- To give youth an active voice regarding health-care services delivered at the Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre.
- To empower youth as valued contributors in decision making to improve the patient experience at the Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre.
- To influence positive change at the Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre to benefit youth and their supporters.
- 10 – 12 youth between the ages of 12-18.
- Efforts will be made to reflect the diversity of the Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre patient population (with respect to culture, gender, age, medical background, patient experiences and location of residence.)
- Members must have experience with Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre services either as a patient (inpatient, day-patient or outpatient) or as a sibling of a frequent patient.
- The group will be supported by the regional program consultant and the departmental program coordinator of the Children and Women’s Health Program.
- Commit to a one-year minimum participation.
- Participate in six (6) to eight (8) meetings per year.
- Be respectful and honest.
- Have an open mind and a positive attitude.
- Be innovative and willing to learn from mistakes.
- Have fun with purpose.
- Share ideas, feedback and suggestions from the lens of the service user (lived experience) and partner for service improvement planning and activities.
How to attend
Meetings are held virtually every month (with exception of July/August.)
How to reach us
Email: email@example.com, or telephone 709-777-6777.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 709-777-4451.