Newfoundland & Labrador Fertility Services (NLFS) provides provincial outpatient services for the diagnosis and treatment of fertility issues for the people of Newfoundland and Labrador. Our staff from Children and Women’s Health and Laboratory Medicine work together to provide quality care to patients.
What we do
We provide an inclusive environment for all persons, where fertility support is required or deemed beneficial. We respect the various options for creating a family. Our team supports a client-family centred care approach where clients actively participate in making informed decisions after being presented with clinical treatment options. Within the boundaries of existent legislation regarding reproductive care, we respect every person’s choices in their fertility journey.
When appropriate, we facilitate out-of-province referrals to a clinic of the client’s choice and collaborate with those clinics using a shared care model. Families, as defined by the client, are welcomed to attend fertility appointments together.
Clinical services provided:
- Pre-conceptual counselling (counselling prior to becoming pregnant).
- Fertility investigations work-up: including history, blood work, genetics, semen analysis, uterine cavity assessment, tubal patency testing, etc.
- Follicular tracking for timed intercourse (TI), intrauterine insemination (IUI) and therapeutic donor insemination (TDI) cycles.
- Out-of-province referral, satellite monitoring and follow-up for in-vitro fertilization (IVF), frozen embryo transfer (FET), third-party reproduction (donor egg/embryo/gestational carrier cycles).
- Medication teaching/support for patient administration/injection.
- Fertility treatment cycle guidance via nurses telephone advice line.
- Early pregnancy ultrasound/assessment.
- Prenatal care.
- Fertility preservation: consultation and work-up for on-site sperm banking through the laboratory services (e.g. medical reasons such as oncology patients; transgender patients, etc.); consultation, work-up and applicable referrals for egg banking in collaboration with in-vitro fertilization (IVF) centres.
- Gynecology consultation and treatment at physician discretion.
Information about health and wellness, including some conditions that can impact fertility, are on available on Eastern Health’s Health information (Hi): Before pregnancy website.
Who we see
Services are provided to adults 18 years of age and older.
Our team is comprised of the following health-care professionals:
- Administrative assistants
- Laboratory technicians
As requested by clients, our team may arrange referral(s) to a children and women’s heath psychologist and other support/specialty services within Eastern Health.
How to access this service
Referrals can be completed and forwarded by a family physician, other medical doctors or a nurse practitioner. See referrals.
Client self-referrals are not accepted at this time.
Clients not actively receiving services (not seen by a fertility services physician for more than one year), require a new referral to resume treatment/fertility care.
Where we are
Major’s Path Clinic
35 Major’s Path
St. John’s, NL
Hours of operation
Appointments are offered Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Treatment cycle procedures are provided on weekends and holidays, as deemed necessary.
How to reach us