Prenatal education provides support to pregnant individuals and their families to promote a healthy pregnancy, prepare for labour and delivery and assist in postnatal care (such as post-partum and breastfeeding support services).
Prenatal education and support is available in group settings or on a one-on-one basis, depending on individual needs.
Prenatal education classes are taught by experienced labour and birth nurses. Our prenatal education programs are flexible and designed to best meet the needs of pregnant individuals and their family.
What we do
We provide education and support to expectant parents and their support people. We offer the following education and support:
- Early pregnancy class – three (3) weeks (up to 28 weeks)
- Labour and birth – five (5) weeks
- Prenatal in a day
- Refresher classes for parents who have had previous deliveries
- Teen classes
- Newborn care class
- Breastfeeding class taught by a lactation consultant
- Nutrition class taught by a dietitian
- Physiotherapy class taught by a physiotherapist
- Online hospital tour and information about labour and delivery
Eastern Health Prenatal Education classes are also offered virtually, via Zoom.
Who we see
Care is provided to pregnant individuals and their families; early pregnancy to third (3rd) trimester; postpartum support as needed; and breastfeeding support as needed.
Our team is comprised of the following health-care professionals:
- Lactation consultants
How to access this service
Your appointment date, time and Zoom link will be emailed to you.
Please ensure your email is included in the registration form.
We encourage you to register early as classes fill up quickly.
Where we are
Health Sciences Centre
Women’s Health Program
Prenatal Office 2J514
Class Room 2J549
300 Prince Philip Drive
St. John’s, NL
Hours of operation
- We provide daytime, evening and weekend prenatal education.
- In-class sessions are held at the Women’s Health Centre at the Health Sciences Centre in St. John’s.
How to reach us
A drop box is located next to prenatal office – room 2J514
Handouts are shared during virtual prenatal classes.
Please ensure that your mailing address is up to date with Eastern Health.
Options to update your address:
- Telephone: 709-777-7114, Monday to Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or
- Visit any Eastern Health registration department with your medical card (MCP).
Prenatal hospital tour
Please see the prenatal hospital tour information (PDF).
Frequently asked questions
Can a Doula be present at the birth of my child?
- The Doula must be certified.
- The labour and delivery department must receive approval and sign documents prior to you being admitted.
- To obtain forms, please email: email@example.com.