Surgery units at the Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre provide inpatient care for children and youth who have had surgery or those with complex medical conditions.
- Ears, Nose and Throat (ENT)
- General Surgery
- Oral Surgery
What we do
Our surgical unit consists of 16 inpatient beds, plus a four-bed special care infant surgical care area.
Some features of the unit include:
- Playroom: Play is an important part of a child’s life and can make a hospital stay easier. Recreation specialists and workers are available to provide therapeutic play and other special activities for children in the unit. They will also come to the bedside of children and youth who can’t leave their room.
- Family Room: A family room is available in the unit for families to have quiet time away from their child’s room, while remaining nearby.
- Janeway School: Your child does not have to miss school while in the hospital. The Janeway School is staffed with teachers and provides classroom and bedside teaching from September to June for children who will be in the hospital for more than seven days.
- Music Therapy: An accredited music therapist (MTA) is available to visit your child and use music to promote, maintain, and restore mental, physical, emotional, spiritual health and well-being. Music therapy can provide individualized goals based on the cognitive, social, emotional, behavioural, communicative and physical needs of each client.
Who we see
We treat children and youth up to their 18th birthday.
While admitted, your child may be treated by a number of health-care professionals:
- Medical residents
- Registered nurses
- Licensed practical nurses
- Nurse practitioners
- Musical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Recreational therapists
- Respiratory therapists
- Speech language pathologists
- Social workers
How to access this service
Children are admitted to the surgery unit directly under the care of a specialist or from, and in consultation with, the Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre Emergency Department.
Where we are
Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre
300 Prince Philip Drive
St. John’s, NL A1B 3V6
Hours of operation
Inpatient services provide 24-hour care, seven days per week.
How to reach us
Surgery unit telephone: 709-777-4340