Janeway Emergency

The Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre Emergency Department (Janeway Emergency) provides 24-hour specialized emergency care to children from all over Newfoundland and Labrador.

If you feel your child may have a serious or urgent medical problem, you should bring them to an emergency department or call 911 for an ambulance.

If you are looking for health advice or are unsure whether your child requires emergency medical attention, please call the NL Health Line at 811 to speak with a registered nurse, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Who we see

We treat children and youth up to their 18th birthday.

Our team

Our team is comprised of the following health-care professionals:

  • ER physicians
  • Pediatricians
  • Nurses
  • Respiratory therapists
  • Orthopedic technologists
  • Phlebotomists (Laboratory technicians)
  • Diagnostic imaging staff
  • Medical and nursing students
  • Pharmacists

How to access this service

We provide walk-in service. If you are unsure of whether you should visit the emergency department, you can also call 911 or the NL Health Line at 811.

Where we are

Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre
2nd floor
300 Prince Philip Drive
St. John’s, NL  A1B 3V6

Hours of operation

The Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre Emergency Department  provides 24-hour per day care, seven days per week.

How to reach us

Janeway Emergency Department
Telephone: 709-777-4153

Emergency Department, Patient care coordinator
Telephone: 709-777-4234

Links to Eastern Health resources

Frequently asked questions

Are visitors permitted at the Janeway Emergency Department?

Visiting in the Emergency Department is limited to one person at the bedside or room. Visitors are limited to parents, caregivers and support person(s). The Emergency Department is a locked area so visitors should request access to the department.

Can a family member or a caregiver bring my child to the emergency department?

Parents or legal guardians must complete the Temporary Caregiver for Consent to Treatment (PDF) to form in order for another caregiver (i.e. grandparent) to determine the care of the child in the absence of parents. In the event that your child arrives at the emergency department without this form, a registered nurse will contact the legal guardian and obtain consent for your child’s treatment.

Share This Page:
Last updated: 2022-08-01