The Child Life Program (recreation therapy) strives to provide an inclusive service for both inpatient and outpatient Janeway families.
What we do
Play is an important part of a child’s life and can make a hospital stay easier. Recreation specialists and recreation workers are available to provide therapeutic play and other special activities for children. These professionals will also attend the bedsides of children and youth who can’t leave their rooms.
Recreation therapy promotes a healthy leisure lifestyle for children and youth by providing the opportunity to build leisure skills, gain knowledge and promote overall quality of life.
- adaptive equipment programs,
- individual assessments, and
- group and one-on-one therapy.
Who we see
Children and youth of all ages and abilities who are currently admitted or being followed through children and youth services.
- Certified recreation development specialists
- Recreation workers
How to access this service
A referral can be made from any health-care provider, school, community organization or by the family. For more information, please contact the outpatient recreation therapy office at 709-777-4809.
Where we are
Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre
300 Prince Philip Dr.
St. John’s, NL
How to reach us
- Inpatient recreation therapy – Telephone: 709-777-4453
- Outpatient recreation therapy – Telephone: 709-777-4809
Hours of operation
- Inpatient services are provided 24 hours, seven days per week.
- Outpatient appointments: Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.