The Janeway Lifestyle Program works with families whose children have been identified as having a risk factor for the development of a chronic disease such as high cholesterol, high blood sugars, high blood pressure, liver disease and weight concerns.
We provide a safe social space and non-judgmental service. We focus on reducing barriers to lifestyle changes while improving nutrition, physical activity, and self-esteem for all children. Our goal is to help children and their families enjoy a healthy life.
What we do
The Janeway Lifestyle Team works locally and provincially with:
- Families whose children (aged 2-18 years) have been identified as having a risk factor for the development of a chronic disease.
- Health-care professionals to help build capacity in reducing risk factors for the development of chronic disease as well as assisting health-care professionals to discuss lifestyle behaviours using a health focus.
- Community leaders interested in promoting healthy active living in their home community.
Who we see
Children and youth (aged 2-18 years) who have been identified as having a risk factor for the development of a chronic disease.
Our team is comprised of the following health-care professionals:
- Pediatric endocrinologist
- Social workers
- Recreation development specialists
How to access this service
Children aged 2 -18 years who have a risk factor for chronic disease can be referred by any health-care professional. Families will be invited to an orientation and an appointment for an interdisciplinary assessment will be provided at that time.
Children aged 2 -18 years who have a risk factor for the development of a chronic disease can be referred by any health-care professional in their region. Families will be given an appointment for an interdisciplinary assessment at the next travelling clinic to their area.
A referral for regional or provincial services is required from health-care provider, such as your family doctor, allied health professional or nurse practitioner. Physicians and health providers can email a completed Referral for Consultation – Janeway Lifestyle Program (PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where we are
Janeway Lifestyle Program
Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre
300 Prince Philip Drive
St. John’s, NL
Hours of operation
Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., along with some evening and weekend groups.
How to reach us