Acute care physiotherapy services at the Janeway Children’s Rehabilitation Centre provide preventive, diagnostic and rehabilitative services to enhance the quality of cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal and neurological function in children.
We provide physiotherapy services to children in the Eastern Health region, and we also provide consultative services either in person or via online methods.
What we do
- We offer inpatient and outpatient physiotherapy services for children to help maximize their functional outcomes.
- We provide active physiotherapy treatment to help children move better and breathe better.
- We consult with other members of the health-care team to ensure comprehensive care.
- We participate in regular education to ensure we are providing a high standard of care.
- We act as pediatric physiotherapy consultants to physiotherapists in rural areas to help them provide the best level of care for children.
Who we see
We provide physiotherapy services to children and youth up to their 18th birthday in the following care areas:
Inpatient physiotherapy services
Any child admitted to the Janeway Children’s Rehabilitation Centre requiring assessment and management for cardiorespiratory, neurological or musculoskeletal conditions.
Outpatient physiotherapy services
Physiotherapists provide assessment and management in a variety of services.
Physiotherapists provide assessment and management mainly for acute and chronic respiratory issues related to cystic fibrosis or other respiratory issues.
Physiotherapists provide assessment and management of acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions. Examples include:
- Infant torticollis, rotational preference
- Infant flathead
- Bleeding disorders
- Post-op orthopedic surgery
- Complex pain
- Post-cast removal
- Post-serial casting
- Juvenile arthritis
- Acute musculoskeletal injury
- Legge Perthes disease
- Burn scar management
- Chronic musculoskeletal conditions
- Lower extremity alignment
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Assessment for mobility aids
Physiotherapists provide assessment and management of acute and chronic neurological conditions. Physiotherapists also provide infant and early childhood developmental assessment and management. Examples of conditions are:
- Brachial Plexus Injury.
- Children with abnormal muscle tone.
- Neurodevelopmental assessments.
- Assessment of gross motor delay or regression.
Physiotherapists provide physical assessment of children on initial diagnosis of cancer. They monitor children for any issues with mobility, musculoskeletal concerns or generalized deconditioning. Intervention is provided as needed. Children are seen both in a multidisciplinary clinic, and also on an individual basis in an outpatient setting.
Physiotherapists are a part of the assessment team for children referred for management of post-concussion syndrome. They work with occupational therapists, pediatricians, phycologists and other health-care team members to provide comprehensive care for children with post-concussion syndrome.
Our team is comprised of the following health-care professionals:
- Outpatient physiotherapists for
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Inpatient physiotherapists
- Physiotherapy support workers
- Administrative assistants
How to access this service
Services are provided as needed in consultation with inpatient multidisciplinary team members.
Services are by appointment. A physician referral is not required.
- Self-referrals are accepted by calling: 709-777-4346.
For the majority of cases, referrals are received from family physicians, pediatricians, community health nurses or other allied health professionals.
Once the referral is received, patients are placed on the appropriate waiting list based on determined level of urgency of the condition in combination with the child’s age.
Where we are
Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre
300 Prince Philip Drive
St. John’s, NL, Canada
Hours of operation
- Appointments: Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Inpatient services are provided on an on-call basis over weekends and statutory holidays.
How to reach us