The Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre offers diabetes outreach services. An interdisciplinary team of specialists and diabetes educators dedicated to supporting children and youth, and their families living with type 1 diabetes mellitus are part of the diabetes outreach team.
What we do
We provide comprehensive medical management, follow-up care and education for children and youth and their families living with type 1 diabetes.
Services and supports include:
- Medical management of type 1 diabetes
- General education on living with type 1 diabetes, including self-management support in the use of injection and insulin pump therapies
- Dietary assessment
- Education and support
- Mental health counselling services
- School transition support
Services are be provided in-person, over the phone or virtually (e.g., telehealth).
Who we see
We provide care for children and youth up to their 18th birthday who are referred to and registered with the diabetes outreach team.
Our team is comprised of the following health-care professionals:
- Pediatric endocrinologists
- Nurse practitioners
- Dietitians (who are certified diabetes educators)
- Social workers
- School liaison educators
- Administrative assistants
How to access this service
A referral is required from a health-care provider, such as your family doctor or a nurse practitioner.
When your appointment is scheduled, our office will send a letter or reach out via telephone.
Where we are
Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Room 2J731, Outreach Services
300 Prince Philip Drive
St. John’s, NL
Hours of operation
Clinic hours: Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Individual and family appointments are also available.
Office hours: Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
How to reach us
The following materials have been developed by Diabetes Canada, and are linked below for your convenience.
- Resources for people with diabetes
- Warning signs of diabetes in children (PDF)
- Type 1 diabetes treatment
- Getting started with insulin (types of insulin, injection sites, etc.) (PDF)
- Kids and type 1 diabetes (PDF)
- Teens and diabetes
- Drive safe (PDF)
- Alcohol and diabetes (PDF)
- Smoking and diabetes (PDF)
- Staying safe when you are sick (PDF)
- Diabetes and nutrition
- Basic carbohydrate counting (PDF)